Skip to main content

Womanhood

There you go woman. Your walls have fallen and you have been let loose! I assume that your feeble hands can now carry the heavy water pots from the streams of Oghene, that your eyes see the consequences of right and wrong, that you will no longer share the bathing ground with boys. Yaremi, we assume that the kitchen pots will glory because of your magical hands!
I watched you daily from the homestead, as your bones became stronger, your cleavage brought forth breasts and your behind became rounded. I saw you slowly become conscious of your body. I know about the long preparation before you leave for the stream. Yaremi, I know.
Yaremi I also see the beauty attached to your brain. Your wisdom knows no bounds. You have carried your self with great poise as you walk the streets of Amagu. No man or woman dares to put mud on your name. You work tirelessly during the farming season and while you await the harvest, you sell taffeta at the market.
You represent a race of women with a zeal undying. The type that is not wooed by the foolishness of Okonta the palm wine tapper. Yaremi you are the woman whose silence at the village square attracts curiosity. You have become the mouth of the gods and men tarry to hear your words.
However Yaremi, you are Woman and you were created to be unique. Your muteness does not mean you are foolish. Do not be fast at speech when your heart burns for the walls have ears. You are worth more than rubbies and be cursed that man who calls you weak!
Your words travel fast like the eagle on a journey but you speak only when words have been exhausted.
African woman, the land has sworn that you will not find happiness but they have refused to see that you are the joy of the land!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahamefuna

  There's something about Ahamefuna that disturbs my spirit. He came home from work like every other day, tired but excited to see his family. He put up a long grin that almost looks fake, holding a bag of groceries I had asked for earlier in the day. The atmosphere changed with his presence, the feeling of dear gripped me tightly but I remained calm anyways. I kept asking how his day went and he kept ignoring the question like he didn't hear what I said. I kept looking at him, looking for traces of anything that would confirm my fears... He kept starring at me like he had a thousand words to say but was held back by a border. I could see him from the side of my eyes as I cut vegetables for dinner. I couldn't place my hands on this mystery but it felt like he was aloof. He offered to cook dinner with me and even put the kids to bed. My husband is the sweetest man I ever know but he associates cooking with the female gender, I didn't mind because I love cooking. He spent

Peace in Chaos

 There in her chamber, seated on her big gold crested cushion, she felt deep peace. Nothing on earth would compare to this calmness that her heart has attained. She dragged in sweet air, held it tight as if it was her last and let it out gracefully as she rested on her cushion. It won't be long before she looses consciousness.  The events of her life in the past few years felt like dark magic. She shut her eyes to see her loved ones, this was the only way she could remember their faces and feel their warmth for they were all connected only by the soul.  She smelt her youngest son, he was only 9 months old before he passed away. "Strange world" she muttered to herself and smirked. It was hard for her to have lost them but the sting of death didn't affect her anymore, she has lost everything that could cause her pain. She felt like her husband was talking to her, she jerked up with eyes wide open in surprise. But he wasn't there, he had died from lung Cancer. She le

Society: Living for others

 Society : Living  Life For Others  My name is Gladys, I have led the wrong life.                            I often play a little game with myself when I'm feeling bad. The game is a simple one, and maybe one that some people might find slightly morbid, but it cuts to the heart of the matter. I ask myself if this thing that is making me feel bad will matter to me when I'm on my death bed. Ninety-nine percent of the time the answer is no. My answer gave a concluding impact. I worry about things that won't matter later in life. I spend lots of my time worrying  about what other people think of me.  I live a life that is not quite what I want and expect.   I submit to other people's demands all the time and live for them. I live for what people will say or think. I led my life for the universe, to satisfy people's expectations of me. But slowly, I died inside. So, I said to myself, "But this is your life - so spend it doing what you want and not for others &